Board of Adjustment (BOA)
The Board of Adjustment is established pursuant to Wisconsin Statutes §59.694. The Board of Adjustment is an independent decision-making body not subject to County Board control. The BOA shall act in a fair and impartial manner, without bias or prejudice, and render its decision based on law, facts and rational analysis.
- Appointment by the County Administrator with approval of the County Board of Supervisors.
- Three years
- Monthly or as needed to conduct County business
The powers and duties of the BOA are identified in Section 59.694 of the Wisconsin Statutes and in the various land use ordinances that have been adopted by the County. The Board shall have the following general powers:
- To hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is error in an order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official in the enforcement of Wisconsin Statutes §59.69 and 59.692 or of any County land use ordinances.
- To hear and decide special exceptions (conditional uses) to the terms of an ordinance enacted pursuant to Wisconsin Statutes §59.69 or 59.692 or of any County land use ordinance.
- To authorize upon appeal in specific cases variances from the terms of any ordinance enacted pursuant to Wisconsin Statutes §59.69 or 59.692 or of any County land use ordinances that will not be contrary to the public interest, where, owing to special conditions, a literal enforcement of the provisions of the ordinance will result in unnecessary hardship, and so that the spirit of the ordinance shall be observed and substantial justice done.
- To grant special exceptions and variances for renewable energy resource systems. If the board denies an application for a special exception or variance for such a system, the board shall provide a written statement of its reasons for denying the application. “Renewable energy resource system” means a solar energy system, a waste conversion energy system, a wind energy system or any other energy system which relies on a renewable energy resource.
- Interpret the zoning district maps.
Clarence "Buck" Malick, Chair
David Peterson, Vice Chair
|Steve Schalla, Alternate||May 2021|
For more information about the Board of Adjustment that is not addressed on the County’s website, please contact the Community Development Department at 715-386-4680.