The St. Croix County Surveyor is responsible for carrying out the requirements of the County Surveyor’s office as specified in Chapter 59 of the Wisconsin State Statutes.
Responsibilities of the County Surveyor
- Reestablish and maintain the Corners of the Public Land Survey System (PLSS)
- Review survey maps for compliance with State Statutes and Local Ordinances
- Index and maintain copies of all surveys in the county
- Perform survey work for other government agencies
- Assist the public with land surveying and land ownership questions
Those responsibilities include preserving the corners of the Public Land Survey System, which is the basis for property descriptions in the County. The County Surveyor is responsible for the remonumentation, maintenance, and protection of the 2351 PLSS corners in St. Croix County.