The Land Use / Zoning department regulates the types of uses which can occur in each zoning district, as well as the specific development standards for each zoning district.
Conditional Use Permits
Conditional Use permits are required for a use that is listed as a "Conditional Use" within a zoning district. A list of possible conditional uses are included in the St. Croix County Zoning Ordinance under each Zoning District. A conditional use request is reviewed by the Board of Adjustment. It is strongly recommended the applicant meet with staff to discuss the request before an application is submitted.
Variances allow development that is inconsistent with the dimensional standards conditioned in the ordinance, variances cannot be issued to approve uses that are inconsistent with the ordinance. The Board of Adjustment is authorized by statute to grant variances to the strict terms of the Land Use Ordinance only when certain criteria exist. It is the applicant's responsibility to prove that those criteria exist at the site and that a variance can be granted. Staff should be contacted if you believe you have a valid request for a variance.
Applications are due the first Monday of the month.
Board of Adjustment (BOA)
Visit the Board of Adjustment page for more information.
- Commercial Use Supplemental Information Sheet (PDF)
- Contractor Storage Yard Supplemental Information Sheet (PDF)
- Filling Grading Supplemental Information Sheet (PDF)
- Land Use Addendum (PDF)
- Land Use Permit Application (PDF)
- Limited Commercial Recreational Use Supplemental Information Sheet (PDF)
- Major Home Occupation Supplemental Information Sheet (PDF)