What happens if agricultural equipment damages a road?

Equipment operators are encouraged to drive in a courteous, law-abiding manner and respect local weight limits whenever possible. Non-agricultural vehicle operators are encouraged to respect agriculture’s right to utilize roadways, follow safe passing signs and drive in a courteous and law-abiding manner. Farm-equipment signage for areas with the greatest use would be helpful in warning vehicles of possible slow-moving or parked equipment on highways.

Farmers are not exempt from highway weight restrictions except under certain circumstances during harvest time. In reference to Wisconsin §348.17(5) annually lifts weight limits on Class A highways from September 1 to November 30 to harvest corn, soybeans, potatoes, vegetables or cranberries. The law allows weight limits to be exceeded by up to 15 percent for transport from farm field to initial storage or initial processing point. Farmers must meet all other vehicle requirements for size, operation and driver qualifications, and cannot travel on roadways or bridges with special weight restrictions or on most interstates.

In reference to Wisconsin §86, also keep in mind, any person who injures/damages any highway shall be liable in triple damages, to be recovered by the political division in charge of the maintenance on said highway, and the amount recovered shall be credited to the highway maintenance fund.

From September 1 to December 31 of each year, no permit shall be required for the transportation of corn, soybeans, potatoes, vegetables, or cranberries from the field to storage on the grower's owned or leased land, from the field to initial storage at a location not owned or leased by the grower, or from the field to initial processing in a vehicle or combination of vehicles having a registered gross weight of 50,000 pounds or more or described in s. 340.01 (24) (b) that exceeds the weight limitations under s. 348.15 by not more than 15 percent. This subsection does not apply to the national system of interstate and defense highways, except for that portion of I 39 between USH 51 and I 90/94.

Show All Answers

1. How do I report a dead deer?
2. How do I apply for a position at the Highway Department?
3. What is the County doing about the weeds?
4. Who do I contact if a rock hits my windshield?
5. Is there County Tourist Orientated Directional Sign program?
6. May I plant in the County Highway Right of Way?
7. Where do I place my refuse (garbage and recycle) container on pick up day?
8. What happens if agricultural equipment damages a road?
9. Who do I call if the snowplow hits my mailbox?
10. What are the guidelines for temporary signs along a roadway?
11. May I push snow over the road?