Yard Waste

St. Croix County does NOT have a compost site for residents to drop-off leaves, brush and grass clippings.

Consider at-home composting and mulching. Go to our compost page for more information about setting up your own backyard composting project.

Otherwise here are some options for disposing of these materials:

  • Gerten’s Regional Eco-Services (Cottage Grove, MN)
    12119 70th St S, Cottage Grove, MN
    Or in Denmark Township at the intersection of Manning + 70th
    Open Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    Saturday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. | Sunday, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Call 651-209-3511 for further details.
  • All Natural Recycling (south of River Falls)
    Accepts grass and leaves for a fee
    By appointment only.
    Contact Adam at 715-497-9130
  • Diamond D Farms (Somerset)
    Accepts grass clippings and leaf waste for free
    and a limited amount of brush for a fee
    By appointment only.
    Contact Dennis at 651-238-0734
  • Freedom Farm (Houlton)
    Accepts grass clippings, leaves and
    manure for a free will offering.
    By appointment only.
    Contact Garry at 715-410-4963
  • City of New Richmond 
    1935 115th Street, New Richmond  
    • Open to city residents only with ID and recent utility bill
  • City of River Falls
    901 West Locust Street, River Falls
    • Open to municipal utilities customers only
  • Sylvester’s Custom Grinding
    (Roberts and New Richmond locations)
    Accepts grass, leaves, brush, log and tree stump debris for a fee
    Open April to November
    Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Saturday, 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
    Check website for pricing on the Our Products page

Hudson residents who have Waste Management as their hauler have two options for yard waste pick-up service.  Waste Management 888-960-0008

  1. Sign-up for a container that gets picked up weekly from April- November.
  2. Go to the service counter at County Market to purchase yard waste stickers (one for each bag). Place these on your large paper leaf bags. Then call Waste Management to schedule your curbside pick-up.

A few municipalities have a yard waste site open for their residents only (Village of Baldwin, Village of Hammond, City of New Richmond). Contact your municipality for details. 

After planting your garden, bring the empty plastic flower pots to Home Depot for recycling

Return to A-Z Recycling & Disposal Guide