The County does not accept hazardous waste year-round. Do not drop-off hazardous waste at the highway shop outside of the Clean Sweep collection dates.
NEW: Year-Round Option for Hazardous Waste Disposal
We have a vendor in St. Croix County that manages hazardous waste collection for residents and business that are VSQG (very small quantity generators).
Logistics Recycling Inc. | 920-456-0336
Call directly to make a drop-off appointment in Somerset and for disposal fees.
CLEAN SWEEP - Hazardous Waste Collection Event
St. Croix County residents may also attend Polk County's Clean Sweep events
June 10th and August 26th, 2022.
Thursday, October 6th and Friday, October 7th
- THURSDAY Households that need later hours: 1:00-6:00 p.m.
- FRIDAY Households with flexible schedules: noon-4:00 p.m.
- Households DO NOT need to pre-register
- Households will only be charged for paints and stains (more details below)
Businesses, Churches & Farms - do NOT go to Clean Sweep
With a new hazardous waste vendor in our county, businesses, churches and farms no longer need to attend the fall Clean Sweep. DO NOT GO TO THE EVENT. You will be able to schedule a drop-off appointment in Somerset with Logistics Recycling Inc. 920-456-0336
Businesses and Churches MUST register waste materials with LRI using this fillable form (PDF). Then LRI will call you to set-up a drop-off appointment.
A business or church qualifies as a Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) if it generates less than 220 lbs. of waste per month and has less than 2,200 lbs. in storage.
The county recommends Logistics Recycling (LRI) as a resource to facilitate proper hazardous waste disposal but DOES NOT COVER COSTS.
- Business and church hazardous waste collection is a fee-based service
- Appointments can be made with LRI any time of year
Farms MUST register waste materials with LRI using this fillable form (PDF).
Email the form to the county’s recycling specialist at email@example.com
Then LRI will call you to set-up a drop-off appointment.
- Appointments must be made by the end of October (for grant funding)
The first 500 pounds are free. You will be charged for additional material.
$5/gallon container for all paints / stains will apply to farms (more details below).
Location & Directions
- St. Croix County Highway Shop | 666 E Hwy 12, Town of Hudson
GPS navigation has a difficult time finding the St. Croix County Highway Shop, please use these directions. Look for the yellow signs along the road directing you to the Clean Sweep event.
- From Hudson: Head East on I-94 and take Exit 4 Highway 12/Highway U. Turn Left on Highway 12 and proceed north for 1.5 miles. Turn Right at the Stoplight to stay on Highway 12. Travel 0.75 miles and the St. Croix County Highway Shop will be on your left.
- From Baldwin: Head West on Highway 12 for 16 miles. The St. Croix County Highway Shop will be on your right. If you reach the stoplight at Highway 12 and Highway U, near Arrow Building Center and Norlake, you have gone too far.
- From New Richmond: Head south on Highway 65 for 9 miles. Turn right on to Highway 12 and travel 6.5 miles. The St. Croix County Highway Shop will be on your right. If you reach the stoplight at Highway 12 and Highway U, near Arrow Building Center and Norlake, you have gone too far.
- From River Falls: Head north on Highway 35 towards Hudson. Merge on to I-94 eastbound towards Eau Claire. Take Exit 4 Highway 12/Highway U. Turn Left on Highway 12 and proceed north for 1.5 miles. Turn right at the stoplight to stay on Highway 12. Travel 0.75 miles and the St. Croix County Highway Shop will be on your left.
Clean Sweep accepts the following items for free except those marked in bold:
- Aerosol cans (year-round options available)
- Air fresheners
- Cement and glues
- Cleaners and spot removers
- Corrosives and lye
- Drain and toilet bowl cleaners
- Weed killer and fertilizers with weed killer
- Fluorescent bulbs and tubes (year-round options available)
- Household batteries (year-round options available)
- Mercury thermometers and thermostats
- Oil filters (year-round options available)
- Old fuel (year-round options available)
- Paint + Stain ($5 per 1-gallon or smaller / $25 per 5-gallon pail)
Fees are based on can size, not the volume in the can.
Combine can contents of same paint type to save money
(example: combine all latex paint together but do not combine with oil paint)
- Paint stripper and solvents
- Pesticides, insecticides and herbicides
- Roofing tar and driveway sealant
- Shellac and varnish
View the DNR's Household Hazardous Waste Management Guide for a more complete list of items that should be brought to Clean Sweep, thrown in the trash or flushed down the drain.
Items Not Accepted
- Appliances (collection events in May and September)
- Electronics (collection events in May and September)
- Tires (collection events in September)
- Automotive batteries (check with your local battery retailer or auto service center)
- Motor oil (check with your local auto service center)
- Biological & medical waste, needles & sharps
(check with your local hospitals or medical clinics)
- Explosives — gunpowder, ammunition & fireworks
(bring to your local police department)
- Spray foam insulation cylinders — only if completely empty
(take to a scrap metal recycle site or return to manufacturer)
View The EPA's Safer Choice website for non-hazardous alternatives for many types of household and automotive cleaners.
View our Non-Toxic Alternatives page for pest control options.